Apple Ratatoulille on Crostini
What You Need
1/2 cup (4 oz.) Walnut oil
1/4 cup (2 oz.) Vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups (10 oz.) Celery, diced
2 cups (8 oz.) Red onions, diced
4 cups (1 lb.) Cored, peeled and diced apples
2 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
4 cups (1 lb.)Zucchini, diced
2 cups (8 oz.) Yellow squash, diced
1 1/2 cups (8 oz.) Canned diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 cup (8 oz.) Walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
1 tsp. Turmeric
1/4 cup Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
48 3" slices Grilled or toasted bread rounds or slices
1) Blend oils. In non-stick or heavy skillet, heat 1/4 cup blended oils. Add celery and red onions. Saute over medium heat until soft and browned. Remove vegetables to bowl.
2) Heat 1/4 cup of blended oil in skillet; add apples. Saute` until apples are soft and golden; remove and add to bowl.
3) Heat first 1/4 cup oil in skillet. add garlic, zucchini and yellow squash. Saute` until soft.
4) Return vegetable-apple mixture to skillet. Stir tomatoes, walnuts, salt, pepper, nutmeg and turmeric. Continue cooking over medium heat 5-10 minutes until mixture is thickened.
5) Stir in basil and cook additional 1-2 minutes.
6) To serve, portion 2 tablespoons ratatouille on each grilled bread slice.