Goat Cheese Tortelloni with Smoked Chicken, Apple-Rosemary Sauce and Chunky Applesauce
What You Need
1 tablespoon butter
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon brandy
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/2 carrot, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/3 cup red wine
2 14.5 ounce cans chicken stock ( low sodium)
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 sprigs fresh parsley
36 goat cheese tortellini
8 ounces fresh mushrooms (shitake if available), stemmed, cleaned and quartered
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
3 ounces smoked chicken cut in julienne
1/4 cup honey
4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and finely diced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1) To prepare Apple-Rosemary Sauce: Melt butter in a large skillet, add apple slices and saute 3 minutes. Stir in brandy and water and cook until apples are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove apples to food processor or blender. Puree and set aside.
2) In same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil and add celery, carrot, onion and garlic. Saute vegetable mixture over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
3) Add tomato paste to vegetable mixture and cook 3 minutes. Add wine and let reduce until almost dry. Then add stock, rosemary and parsley and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Strain mixture into small saucepan; simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until thickened and reduced by 1/3. Whisk in all but 1/2 cup of the apple puree.
4) To make Chunky Applesauce: Lightly brown honey in saute pan, add apples and stir in lemon juice. Toss apples until evenly coated with liquid and saute over medium heat until they are slightly softened. Remove from heat; stir in rosemary and remaining apple puree. Cook tortellini according to directions. Then in large skillet, heat remaining olive oil, add mushrooms and shallots and saute for 3 minutes. Add chicken to skillet and cook until thoroughly heated.
5) To serve, divide mixture among plates and arrange tortellini on top. Ladle Apple-Rosemary Sauce on top and serve with large spoonful of Chunky Applesauce.