Smoked Carrot Bisque
What You Need
5 pounds carrots, peeled and trimmed
mesquite or hickory wood chips, as needed for smoker
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 teaspoons curry powder
5 quarts vegetable stock
1/4 cup butter
2 cups cream
salt and pepper to taste
1) Place whole, peeled carrots onto smoker rack. Smoke 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon soup pot over medium heat. Stir in onions, jalapeno pepper, and garlic, cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Chop carrots, and add to onions along with celery; continue cooking another 5 to 10 minutes until the celery softens.
3) Stir in turmeric and curry powder until evenly distributed; pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4) Strain the vegetables out of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour the puree back into the soup, and continue simmering 30 minutes more.
5) Whisk butter into soup until melted, then stir in cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain soup through a fine mesh strainer before serving.